Saturday, August 24, 2013

What Manner of Person Should I Be?

Scripture - James 1:22-27  Don’t deceive yourselves by only hearing what the Word says, but do it!23 For whoever hears the Word but doesn’t do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror, 24 who looks at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But if a person looks closely into the perfect Torah, which gives freedom, and continues, becoming not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work it requires, then he will be blessed in what he does.
26 Anyone who thinks he is religiously observant but does not control his tongue is deceiving himself, and his observance counts for nothing. 27 The religious observance that God the Father considers pure and faultless is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being contaminated by the world.

Observation - This passage is jam packed full of nuggets. James says it differently than the other writers of the New Testament. He holds us accountable for how we live our lives out each day. He tells of the importance of not only hearing the Word of Yahweh, but carrying out what we learn when we read it. In this version, The Complete Jewish Bible, we can see a more Hebraic way to look at verse 25. This verse confirms the fact that the perfect Torah gives freedom. What does this mean. I believe it means that as we walk along in life between the fence lines of Yahweh's instruction manual, we will find freedom. If we live life His way, we will know how to walk.

Also, it is clear that we are to care for orphans and widows. And watch our sharp tongues. 

Application - We must continue to read God's word so that we will know the expectations he has for us. In order to walk it out, it is important to ask the Ruach (Holy Spirit) to help us. Without his help, it is impossible. And lastly, we must stop making excuses for our shortcomings. I, for one, have a tendency to be sharp-tongued. This is not acceptable to God and may be hurtful to others around me.

Prayer - Father, I pray that your Holy Spirit will empower me to live a life worthy of your calling. As I read your Word, please enlighten me to areas of my life that are not pleasing to you. Help me to look for opportunities to serve you as I walk through my days. Make me sensitive to the calling of the Ruach Hakodesh (Holy Spirit). Help me to realize that I may be the only Yeshua that someone will see today. And if that is true, what manner of woman should I be? In Yeshua's name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment