Thursday, August 22, 2013

Scripture John 8 - 3Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, making her stand in the center. “Teacher,” they said to Him, “this woman was caught in the act of committing adultery. In the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do You say?” They asked this to trap Him, in order that they might have evidence to accuse Him.
Jesus stooped down and started writing on the ground with His finger. When they persisted in questioning Him, He stood up and said to them, “The one without sin among you should be the first to throw a stone at her.”
Then He stooped down again and continued writing on the ground. When they heard this, they left one by one, starting with the older men. Only He was left, with the woman in the center. 10 When Jesus stood up, He said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
11 “No one, Lord,”[a] she answered.

“Neither do I condemn you,” said Jesus. “Go, and from now on do not sin 
anymore."

Observation - As humans, we find it very easy to point our finger at someone else's flawed life. This we do mostly to take the focus off our inadequacies. We see this in education each day as we deal with children. No one wants their sins or flaws exposed. And yet  whatever Yeshua wrote on the ground with his finger was enough for the men to turn in shame and exit the very presence of the Son of God. The woman was the only one left on the scene. And even so, Yeshua didn't leave her totally off the hook for her sins.

He called her to come up higher out of her lifestyle. She was an adulteress to the core. But he didn't just tell her to say the sinner's prayer and be on her way. Yeshua calls her to "Go, and from now on do not sin anymore." This is very key to the days that we are living in. We know that Yeshua died for us so that we might live. But this is not an license to sin. 

Application - I must not point my finger at anyone else's sins and shortcomings. That is not my job in this life. People have come from different backgrounds and it will take the touch of a loving, gracious, God to draw them out of their pits. In my life, it is imperative that I live a life that is pleasing to Him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. If I don't know how, he has given me his manual, the Bible. It is my duty as a believer to seek Him and ask his Holy Spirit to illuminate His path for my life. Also, it is important to pray for others who are entangled in various sins.

Prayer - Father, I pray that you will lead me through this life by Your Word and your Holy Spirit. Thank you for Yeshua and the grace that was bestowed on me - a dirty sinner. I will be ever grateful for your love. Please help me to lead a life that is worthy of the gift of your son, Yeshua. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Being born again means we will never be able to sin they way we did before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I took away from this passage.

    ReplyDelete